Our Justice Equity Diversity Inclusion (JEDI) Journey
Why are we doing this?
We work to create more equity at work and in our community. This starts with looking at our own beliefs and practices that may perpetuate forms of inequality, even when we do not intend that outcome. We must nurture attitudes and behaviors that create environments (in our own workplace and wherever we find ourselves) that are truly welcoming and supportive for all.
What is JEDI to us?
Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion must all receive attention for each component to be meaningfully addressed. Like a table, all legs support each other and what is held by them. We define each of these elements as:
Justice is equal accountability and consequences without having different rules that depend on who you are.
Equity is fair access to the resources you need and being able to have different ways to achieve the same ends.
Diversity is the ability to see from many perspectives which gives us access to what our own points of view can’t see.
Inclusion is about belonging and authentic connection, it should be given and not have to be fought for.
How will we focus our attention?
We will persistently integrate JEDI work in the following areas of our business operations:
- Business Development
- Strategic Planning
- Customer Relations
- Professional Development
We will ask the following questions to bring this aspiration to life:
- Who is being impacted by this (decision/action)?
- What decision-making structure is best suited for this (directive, democratic, consensus, etc.)?
- How can we best relate to our intended audience (internal or external)?
- Are we acting with authenticity?
- Who can help us extend our depth of understanding?
We will examine our own workplace culture for areas that may inadvertently create barriers to equity and inclusion. This will include (but not be limited to) how we:
- Hire and onboard
- Allocate and assign work
- Communicate (formally and informally)
- Recognize and celebrate holidays
- Share information about our experience at wor
We will integrate JEDI perspectives and practices into the services we provide other businesses to help them authentically create a workplace where all belong (and experience that they belong). This will include stand-alone services (such as workshops, coaching, etc.) as well as weaving practices into all of our services (i.e. employee handbooks, assisting with recruiting, support for performance concerns, etc.).
How will we take action?
A sample of our “living list” that chronicles putting our values into practice.
- Continue personal/professional development work as a team to further awareness of privilege (whatever we each may have) and how we can take meaningful action
- Monthly (informal) presentation, take turns
- Explore what a democratic structure means to us
- Develop workshop: “The Lenses We Look Through: Unconscious Bias at Work” and launch it!
- Finalize “Eliminating Bias in Your Hiring Process” as a service offering
- Update Employee Handbook Template with attention to:
- language around holidays
- more examples of more inclusive policies
- more person-oriented language throughout
- Research JEDI-oriented consultants for referral partners for work that goes beyond our scope
- Advertise open positions outside of our own “backyard” with an eye on the benefits and limitations of network recruiting.